Friday, April 20, 2012

Orem basketball: Greg Sheide profile


Greg Sheide:
Long-time Orem coach appreciated
being part of what team accomplished

By Bruce Smith
Matchup
            Greg Sheide has taught and coached at Orem High School for 33 years.
            He did his student teaching at Orem in 1979 and has never left. In most years, he helped coach as many as three different sports. He recalled fondly being an assistant football coach in 1987, when Orem won the 4A state title, and then lost to Alta in the title game the following year.
            But that was the only memorable celebration Sheide could recall, and he took the time to relish what this year’s basketball team accomplished on March 3.
            “It was good for me, but mostly it’s for the kids and a lot of the fans,” he said.
            Sheide was on the bench when the final buzzer sounded. He said he recalled embracing fellow assistant coach Kevin Nixon and head coach Golden Holt immediately afterward.
            “Then I went under one of the baskets by myself and watched,” he said. “The game was over and I just watched the kids that were out in the middle of the floor.
            “The locker room was great,” he added. “It was upbeat. It wasn’t a wild celebration, but it was great to realize that we actually did it.
            “We had six buses of kids, and we drove back to town (from the Maverik Center in West Valley City). There were a couple of police cars and lots of horns honking. I had a bad headache from all the noise. It was pretty hectic, and then there was a mad celebration in the (school) lounge.”
            The celebration really didn’t end – even a month or so later.
            The 60 year-old Sheide doesn’t have a cell phone, so there were no text messages. However,
th school seemed to have increased energy in the following weeks and many former players have called to congratulate him for Orem’s success.
            “I was at Subway (restaurant) the other day and a kid came up to me and gave me a hug,” he said. “That made my day.”
            Virtually every Orem player admitted Sheide played a big role in Orem’s championship. He coached the defense, which gave up 50.6 points per game during the season but only 42.0 ppg in the 4A state tournament. Sheide noted the team’s increased energy that led to its first-ever boys basketball state title.
            “We’ve been in the championship game a lot of times and we’ve been in the semifinals,” he said. “When you get that far, it feels like a successful season. This year, I knew we would be good. Once we got there (to the Final Four), I thought this was something special.
            “Every day was fun at practice, and I miss that part of it already. We worked hard on defense and the kids really bought into it. We won every close game and that shows a lot. If you play good defense, you’ll always have a chance.”
            Sheide plans to be along for the ride next season, when Orem returns the bulk of its roster and goes for a repeat. He figures it will be difficult, and the player’s work ethic will be tested.
            “I might retire from teaching, but I’ll stick with basketball as long as they want me,” he said. “

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am the author of Matchup, which provides yearbooks to high school sports teams, commemorating their seasons.