Monday, June 11, 2012

Borah basketball: Zach Cada profile

In early June, I interviewed Zach Cada, the son of Borah basketball coach Cary Cada. He had an interesting way to look at the season ... being the coach's son. Here is the article that will appear in this year's Borah (Idaho) basketball yearbook.


Zach Cada:

Coach’s son relished the season,
and how it ended for both of them

By Bruce Smith
Matchup

            Zach Cada grew up watching Borah basketball. It was both exciting and sad for him to see it end on March 3, 2011. Fortunately, he was where he wanted to be.
            Cada and four other Borah players had just been asked to come out of the game. They sat on the bench, and leaned back in their chairs knowing that the Lions had a comfortable lead over Post Falls in the 5A state championship game at the Idaho Center.
            “I didn’t know what to think,” Cada recalled. “We were looking at each other and thinking, ‘oh my gosh. Is this really happening?
            “It couldn’t have ended any better. Once that clock ran out, we were bumping each other and saying, ‘we did it.’ We were very excited, but also pretty humble. It wasn’t until they called our names and we shook hands and got the trophy that we started to bounce.”
            Coach Cary Cada felt the same way. The championship was Borah’s first since 2005, but the third for its coach, who also took home state titles in 2004 and 2005 when Zach was still in elementary school. Zach was always a Borah fan, and remembered many winter evenings where he also watched the Lions play.
            Zach played on the junior varsity team last year. This season was the only team he got to play for his dad.
            “Playing for him was a big factor for me,” Zach said. “All the guys on the team I’ve known forever. The best parts were playing with them and playing for my dad. I know it meant a lot to him, too.”
            Afterward, coach Cada admitted the same thing. Zach was used primarily as the team’s “sixth man” during the season. He played in almost every game and averaged 1.3 points per game. His high game was six points against Coeur d’Alene and five points vs. Boise. There were several times where he and Nick Reed contributed three-pointers that helped the Lions gather momentum.
            Coach Cada said it was especially gratifying to see Zach play a bigger role at state.
            “Zach had his best games in the last three games of his career,” coach Cada said. “Winning a state championship with me has always been a goal for him and, as his father, I couldn't have a more rewarding season: Conference champions, District champions, 5A sportsmanship award, state champions, school record 25 wins and all done with my son and some of the finest young men I have ever had the privilege of coaching.
            “Tough to beat.”
            A photograph taken of father and son hugging each other on the court after the championship game said it all.
            “I could tell he was holding back tears,” Zach said. “He usually holds it (his emotions) pretty good.”
            Zach said the three state tournament games were his most memorable.
            “Against Coeur d’Alene, we were all pretty nervous and I hit two three-pointers,” he said. “Against Tikmberline, I had a two-pointer and I had a layup against Post Falls. I played the best defense of my life and I had never been more focused in those games.”
            The championship also likely ended Zach’s playing career. He grew up playing sports, but had to deal with various injury issues. As a senior, he decided to play football again because so many of his friends were on the team and most were excited about playing for new coach Darren Corpus. Cada, however, suffered a concussion in a preseason scrimmage and it drastically limited his playing time.
            “I got into one game after that, but it was against Vallivue,” he said. “That was pretty memorable.”
            In that game, Cada played briefly at defensive end, but was placed directly across from his cousin, Lane Sale.
            “That was a lot of fun,” he said.
            After graduation, Cada said he wasn’t certain about his future. The Cada family owns a large ranch near Midvale, and he also spent a lot of time there growing up.
            “I’m more of an outdoors guy,” he said. “I’d like to work up there and maybe look into going to college.”

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am the author of Matchup, which provides yearbooks to high school sports teams, commemorating their seasons.