Friday, June 29, 2012

Skyline basketball: Michael Staes profile

In late June, I interviewed Skyline (Utah) basketball player Michael Staes, who also played a big role in the Eagles' state championship run a couple months later. Here is the article that will appear in the Skyline basketball yearbook.


Michael Staes:

He had special talents in two sports
but made his biggest mark in baseball

By Bruce Smith
Matchup
 
            Michael Staes played a big part in the Skyline basketball team’s fortunes this year, but the highlight of his sports career came a few months later.
            Staes was a baseball player. No doubt about it. He was a special talent who played three years on the varsity, and he concluded his career just before graduation day by helping the Eagles to the state championship.
            Skyline captured the Region 7 title, and then the 4A crown by rallying to beat Timpanogos 8-7 in the championship game at the Kearns High School field. Bryce Barr’s ground ball with the bases load plated the winning run in the 10th inning.
            The following minutes are just a blur to Staes.
            “Bryce had two strikes on him and hit an outside pitch to second (base),” Staes recalled. “The guy made a diving attempt. He scrambled for it and threw it, but Bryce beat the throw.
            “I was in the dugout, standing on the top step,” he added. “I started screaming and ran on to the field. I almost slipped on the step and ran toward Bryce to jump in the dog pile in centerfield.
            “I was one of the last ones out (of the dugout). I’m not one of the fastest guys and didn’t really jump in it. I was patting guys on the back and I have one of our coaches a big hug. I was in tears … I was so happy. It was just so fun. It was madness.”
            The celebration continued for another 45 minutes on the field and, later, at his friend Travis Norseth’s house. A couple of days later, Staes and his teammates saluted their fellow students at an assembly, where they hoisted the trophy.
            Staes played mostly first and third base for the Eagles and batted nearly .400. The baseball team finished with a 23-7 record and, the way it ended his Skyline sports career was perfect.
            The baseball season started immediately after basketball. Staes was a small (6-foot-3) forward for the Eagles. He also played three years on the varsity basketball team. As a senior, he averaged 5.8 points per game and had a high of 15 points vs. Hunter.
            “The highlight was beating Olympus at their place,” Staes said. “There was a lot of social network (Internet) talk. There was so much hype and it was so much fun to be part of it. It felt more than just a high-school game. The fans really cared who won and beating them and giving our fans and friends the satisfaction of beating Olympus, whom everyone thought was better than us, was fun.”
            Staes, however, felt his best game was at Cedar. He scored just four points, but nailed a three-pointer at the buzzer to send the game into overtime. He also grabbed a key rebound.
            “I felt really good about how I played,” he said. “It was a fun bus ride home. I sat with coach (Ryan) Osterloh, who is a friend, as well as a coach.”
            Staes kept his starting position because he always hustled and was one of the team’s top three-point shooters. He made the big shot at Cedar, but missed one a week later against East.
            “I convinced coach Bunting to have me take the shot, even though Garrett (England) had three game-winning shots before,” Staes said.
            “I have a tendency to have more confidence in my shot than I should,” he added, laughing. “In my infinite confidence, I told (principal Doug) Bingham and then I bricked it. Luckily, DeSean (Miller) got it and put it in.”
            That play was a good description of Skyline’s season. They had several players who could produce when necessary. It showed against Sky View in the first round of the state tournament, which the Eagles won 38-31.
            “That game was big,” Staes said. “Maybe our team and a few of our fans really thought we had a chance. We beat them pretty handily. That was a good memory.”
            Just one of many for Staes this year.
            After graduation, Staes said he planned to continue his baseball career at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine. Staes has family on the East Coast and several relatives attended the school, including a cousin who will also be there with Staes.
            “I did a showcase in Long Island (N.Y.) last year and met the coach,” he said. “I liked him, and the school. Everything just worked itself out.”

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am the author of Matchup, which provides yearbooks to high school sports teams, commemorating their seasons.